Homeless man sleeping in car tragically found dead

By Mary Dennehy

OUTREACH staff from South Dublin County Council had been in regular contact with a homeless man who was tragically found dead in Newcastle this week.

The man had been sleeping in his car in the Newcastle Village area for some time and was known to many locals, who have expressed their sadness since his passing.

Newcastle11

According to the council, the man did not want to access emergency accommodation, a situation which has this week raised further questions around the suitability and safety of city hostels.

Originally from Eastern Europe, the man was found at around 12pm on Tuesday, May 29, and was, according to gardai, pronounced dead at the scene.

He was taken to Tallaght Mortuary where a post mortem is being conducted.

A Garda spokesperson has confirmed to The Echo that the man’s death at this stage is not being treated as suspicious.

The Echo has learned that a number of local elected representatives had made South Dublin County Council aware of the man’s situation, in the hope of securing him emergency accommodation.

However, when contacted by The Echo, a spokesperson for the council said: “South Dublin County Council [was] made aware on May 29 of the unfortunate tragic death which occurred of a man who became known recently to the council as sleeping rough.

“Council outreach staff had been in regular contact with this man over the past few weeks, who had been sleeping in his car in the Newcastle Village area, but he informed staff he was in full-time employment and did not at any time wish to access emergency accommodation.

“The Housing First intake team also made attempts to link in with him.

“South Dublin County Council wishes to offer its condolences to the man’s family and friends.”

The Echo understands that a number of people living in Newcastle also tried to reach out to the man.

Passing his condolences to the man’s family, Tallaght South Sinn Fein councillor Dermot Richardson said that it’s time for the Government to examine the hostel situation – and to declare the homeless situation as an “emergency crisis”.

“This man did not want to go into emergency accommodation and maybe that was because of the hostel service,” Cllr Richardson said.

“There are a lot of homeless people who do not have addiction issues who won’t tap into the hostel service… they feel at risk.

“Hostel accommodation is all that the council has to offer a single male or a single female.

“This is not the council’s fault, it’s down to legislation and I believe it’s time that we look at the hostel situation and the provision of different services.”

Prev Lucan celebrating 10th year of festival
Next Decision expected on former Vincent L Byrne site

  • Professor Green speaks to The Echo about the First Fortnight Festival
  • Stunning moment as starlings gather in the sky
  • Operation Transformation TV presenter Kathryn Thomas was in Tallaght for Foróige’s first ever walk and talk
  • Advertise with The Echo Newspaper
  • The Echo visited the Marlet-owned 7.2 hectare site just off the Belgard Road

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site, personalise content, provide social media features, analyse our traffic, show you relevant advertising and to target and report on ads. By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies that may process personal data for these purposes.