Lucky escape for pensioner as propane cylinder explodes

By Maurice Garvey

A PENSIONER carrying out a bit of DIY roofing had a lucky escape when a propane cylinder he was working with exploded.

The accident occurred on Friday afternoon in the Landen Road area of Ballyfermot, but thankfully nobody was injured. 

Propane Cylinder compressor

The propane clinder

The Echo understands the resident, a man in his early 80s, was carrying out some torch on felt work on his property, a job he has done many times before.

A local source said the bang shook the neighbourhood, leaving people fearing for the worst.

“The flame hit the tubing and apparently took off like a light towards the cylinder, so he got the hell out of the way,” said the source.

“He is lucky not to have been injured. He was near the end of his work. He is grand but needs to keep his health. That would be a big shock to anyone.”

In relation to the incident, a DFB spokesperson said it was a very rare occurrence.

DFB said: “Firefighters from Dolphins Barn responded to a catastrophic failure of a propane cylinder following torch-on felt building work.

“This type of work is particularly hazardous and there should be someone designated to watch for fire with a suitable extinguisher.”

By subscribing to The Echo you are supporting your local newspaper Click Here: Echo Online.

Prev Remains of De La Salle monastery building is a sight for sore eyes
Next ‘We may have a lot of elder citizens, but not elderly ones’
  • Fire in Cookstown Industrial Estate
  • Looking to #ShopLocal?
  • Take a virtual tour around Greenhills Community College with some of its students!
  • #ThinkShopSupportLocal
  • The Square celebrates 30 years in Tallaght

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site, personalise content, provide social media features, analyse our traffic, show you relevant advertising and to target and report on ads. By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies that may process personal data for these purposes.