People power as contractors leave controversial mast site

By William O'Connor

CONTRACTORS on the contoversial mast site in Kingswood were advised to leave the area on Wednesday afternoon reports William O’Connor.

Gardai were called to the scene at lunch time yesterday after local residents started an early morning protest against the workers continuing the finishing of the installation of the mast.

Garda IMG 0427 1

Gardai talking to residents at the mast site in Kingswood on Wednesday

Six Gardai attended the site in Kingswood with around 30 residents staging a peaceful protest.

Following discussions with Gardai, the contractors left the area to a round of applause from the residents.

Last week The Echo reported on how Kingswood residents were taken by surprise when a 15-metre high telecommunications mast was erected on a public green space, beside the community tennis courts on Sylvan Drive in Kingswood.

A committee has been since set up by residents against the planned mast and an appeal is expected to be lodged with An Bord Pleanála against the decision of South Dublin County Council to grant a license.

The appeal is expected to be lodged this week.

In a comment to The Echo last week, the council said: “The amended Section 254 of the Planning and Development Act 2000 enables a license application for overground electronic communications infrastructure and any associated physical infrastructure to be lodged as licenses along public roads.”

When asked about the granting of permission for the mast on Sylvan Drive, the council said: “The Planning Authority assessed the application for the licence having regard to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area, the relevant provisions of the development plan, the number and location of existing appliances, apparatuses or structures on, under, over or along the public road, and the convenience and safety of road users including pedestrians.

“The Planning Authority has granted a licence, subject to 17 conditions, including limiting the licence to three years.”

The council added, as outlined in Section 254 (6) ( a) of the Act, that ‘any person may, in relation to the granting, refusing, withdrawing or continuing of a licence under this section or to the conditions specified by the planning authority for such a licence, appeal to the Board [An Bord Pleanala].’

The council granted a licence to applicant Cignal Infrastructure Ltd for a 15-metre high monopole structure on Sylvan Drive comprising street pole and antenna and associated cabinet on September 24 of this year, after seeking additional information last March.

In its conclusion, the planning authority said that, subject to conditions, the proposed development would “not seriously injure the amenities of the area and would, therefore, be in accordance with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area”.

By subscribing to The Echo you are supporting your local newspaper Click Here: Echo Online.

Prev Amanda and Cian tie the knot in lockdown wedding
Next Abby wins art competition and will turn on RTE Christmas lights
  • Fire in Cookstown Industrial Estate
  • Looking to #ShopLocal?
  • Take a virtual tour around Greenhills Community College with some of its students!
  • #ThinkShopSupportLocal
  • The Square celebrates 30 years in Tallaght

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site, personalise content, provide social media features, analyse our traffic, show you relevant advertising and to target and report on ads. By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies that may process personal data for these purposes.