Ballyfermot man involved in shooting at house sentenced to three and a half years in prison

Ballyfermot man involved in shooting at house sentenced to three and a half years in prison

By Fiona Ferguson and Brion Hoban

A MAN involved in shooting at a house has been sentenced to three and a half years in prison with the final eighteen months suspended.

Terence Murphy (35) was present when his co-accused discharged two shots at the house and was clearly visible in CCTV footage. He was arrested within minutes a short distance away.

Dublin Courts 4

Gardai captured footage of the shooting at the house after swinging CCTV cameras around when they were alerted that an incident was taking place.

Murphy, formerly of Thomand Road, Ballyfermot, Dublin, but now staying with his sister in Kildare, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to possession of a firearm in suspicious circumstances at Oranmore Road, Ballyfermot on May 8, 2015. He has 26 previous convictions.

His co-accused, Daniel Ennis (22) of Croftwood Park, Ballyfermot, who had the gun and fired the two shots at the house, received a four year sentence for his role.

Inspector David Harrington told Alice Fawsitt SC, prosecuting, that there had been an altercation between two men and two women at the house prior to the shots being fired. Murphy was not present at this time.

These two men made a number of threats and left the area. The pair returned, in possession of a firearm and accompanied by Murphy, 40 minutes later. Ennis discharged two shots at the house.

Insp Harrington said the women had been in contact with gardai after the initial altercation and just prior to the shots being fired so CCTV cameras in the area were turned around and captured the shooting. Murphy was clearly visible on the footage.

He agreed with Michael O’Higgins SC, defending, that Murphy had not come to garda attention since he was released on bail 13 months ago and he was now on a methadone maintenance program.

Insp Harrington agreed Murphy appeared to be doing his best to put things behind him.

Mr O’Higgins handed in a letter of apology from Murphy.

He said Murphy had not been present when the initial threats were made and had not been the person with the gun.

He submitted that his client had made good progress recently and a probation report may be helpful.

He told Judge Melanie Greally that his client had a long history of drug abuse and had undergone extensive treatment for mental health issues. He handed in a psychologist’s report outlining his client’s difficult background and a letter from Murphy’s mother into court.

Judge Greally said that mitigating factors taken into account during her deliberations were Murphy’s guilty plea, his time in custody and that he played a lesser role than Ennis in the incident.

She ordered that he meet with a probation supervisor and follow their directions for the 18 months following his release from custody.

Share This