Olympian Jack assaulted in random attack
OLYMPIAN Jack Woolley was assaulted in a “random” violent attack in Dublin City Centre last night, leaving him requiring facial reconstructive surgery.
The 22-year-old Tallaght man who recently represented Ireland at the Olympic Games in Taekwondo was violently attacked whilst out with friends shortly after midnight on Friday, August 13.
Speaking with The Echo this morning, Jack’s mother Annette said he is currently in St James’ Hospital awaiting reconstructive surgery following the attack.
“He was just standing near the Ha’Penny Bridge around 12.30am with his two friends and some fella just came up and attacked him out of the blue.
“He is trying to tell me he is alright. I am just waiting on a phone call to find out what is happening because he was supposed to get his surgery this morning, but it has been delayed.
“I am just thinking that he is lucky in a way because apparently there was stabbings in separate incidents near the same area last night.”
According to Annette, no arrests have been made in connection with the incident so far and she is appealing for anyone who was in the area at the time that may have dash cam footage or saw something to come forward.
“There was a gang involved, it wasn’t just one person. Jack and his friends were just stood there deciding where they were going to go and they heard shouting, and when they turned to look at the shouting that’s when Jack was attacked.
“The man hit him repeatedly in the face without giving Jack the chance to react and apparently he said, ‘I am so sorry’ and ran off afterwards,” Annette told The Echo.
Annette says that Jack had started back training yesterday and this had been Jack’s last night out before he goes back to competing next month.
“His poor face – he is a good-looking lad and I don’t know what way it is going to be after the reconstructive surgery.
“We are assuming that it was random. We don’t know if someone recognised him and thought it would be funny, but there were other people attacked at the same time.
“Obviously it is terrible, but it could have been a lot worse, at least he is able to speak to me and that is what is keeping me calm.”
In a statement issued to The Echo this morning a Garda spokesperson said: “Gardaí attended the scene of an assault that occurred on Grattan Bridge, Dublin 1 at approximately 12:40am today, Saturday, 14th August 2021.
“One man, aged in his 20s, was conveyed to St James’s Hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries sustained during the incident.
“No arrests have been made. Investigations are ongoing.”