€2m forked out to construct cycle lane from village to M50
BUSINESSES in Tallaght Village have rejected an apology from South Dublin County Council over the disruption caused by road works to construct a €2 million cycle lane.
First phase works for the 3km cycle corridor between Tallaght and Templeogue started on Main Street in Tallaght Village – around St Patrick’s Day, before moving to Main Road in June.
Roadworks are not expected to be finished in the village until the end of August, according to the contractors latest programme.
The total tender price for the cycle lane project from Tallaght Village to the M50 underpass is €2 million.
The length of time works are taking to complete, it’s effect on passing trade and traffic, are a major bone of contention for both businesses and residents.
Businesses The Echo spoke to on Main Road, reported a lack of communication with the local authority over the schedule of works, and rejected the apology, which was issued in a letter on July 22.
David Greaves, Manager of Spar on Main Road, said sales were down 20 per cent compared to this time last year after construction works outside the premises for weeks on end, “diverted trade to other areas.”
After repeated requests in June and July to meet a council representative proved unsuccessful, Mr Greaves said the apology was sent “after the damage was done.”
Katie Daly, from Hogan Estates, called the council on Tuesday but couldn’t be heard over the noise of a jackhammer, and said: “It doesn’t seem like there is much of a traffic plan in place.”
Motorists try to avoid the village if possible, with lanes often closed to facilitate works, leading to long tailbacks.
Pedestrians have not been spared, at times finding their path blocked by dead-ends.
Another Main Road employee saw the funny side and said she “looked forward to coming into work each morning to see what surprises lay in store.”
In response to a previous enquiry by The Echo, a spokesperson for South Dublin County Council said: “A notice, including a drawing of the final layout, was sent out to all the businesses on Main Road on July 22 with an update and apologies for the disruption. The scheme is being constructed in phases with the village works as the first phase.”
Latest News: Youths attacked in Rocker bashing incident…
Latest News: Chargers to be brought over Jobstown protest…