€918k to improve the homes  of ‘those who need it most’

€918k to improve the homes of ‘those who need it most’

By Aideen O'Flaherty

PLANS for the improvement of housing stock for elderly people and people with disabilities in South Dublin County have received a funding boost of €918,134.

South Dublin County Council is receiving the funding as part of an €18m nationwide package announced by the government to improve housing conditions.

Village Main St 1

An aerial view of Tallaght Village

The funding will be used for the Improvement Works Scheme, which is in lieu of the Local Authority Housing Scheme, and the Disabled Persons Grant Scheme (DPG), and the schemes are being administered directly by the local authority.

Fine Gael Minister of State at the Department of Foreign Affairs and Dublin South West TD, Colm Brophy, said: “Exchequer funding meets 90 per cent of the cost of the works in each property, with the local authority providing the remaining 10 per cent.

“A total of over €1m has been granted under the two schemes for the area covered by South Dublin County Council.

“The DPG Scheme provides funding for extensions and adaptations to existing social housing stock for older people and people with a disability, and is designed to help make life at home a little easier.

“For example, the funding can be used for items such as grab rails, disabled access ramps, wet rooms, setting up a bedroom downstairs etc.

“The scheme also provides extensions in cases of overcrowding in a home.

“In addition, funding is provided under the Improvement Works in Lieu of Social Housing Scheme (IWILs).

“This allows local authorities to improve or extend privately owned accommodation, where the applicant has been approved for social housing.

“It allows those who are otherwise eligible for social housing to remain in private housing and for enhancements to that housing.

“This funding is designed to improve housing conditions for those who need it most and will help people to live independently in their own homes for longer.”

As reported by The Echo in September 2019, South Dublin County Council had modified 762 units in their housing stock to meet the needs of tenants.

They added that the Disabled Persons Grant Scheme specifically requires the council to use their existing housing stock to meet the needs of people with disabilities.

By subscribing to The Echo you are supporting your local newspaper Click Here: Echo Online.

Share This