DFB again warn people about the danger chargers pose
By Aura McMenamin
We're all guilty of over-charging our devices. For those of us glued to our phones, as soon as we see the power bar go red, we plug it in.
Thankfully, most smartphones know when they are fully charged and can stop the current coming from a charger to protect the device.
Another example of device safety. Don't over-charge devices, or leave the house whilst charging them. Always check for a CE mark. pic.twitter.com/6csuWqxAr6— Dublin Fire Brigade (@DubFireBrigade) August 31, 2017
Unfortunately, the same can't be said for all electronics, as Dublin Fire Brigade have reminded us.
DBF said: “The small Bluetooth speaker was plugged in to charge and shortly after exploded. Luckily he was in the room at the time, and the damage was limited to what you see.”
They issued a few safety tips for charging gadgets:
- Always charge on a solid, non-flammable surface, never on soft furniture, like couches or beds
- Never cover the gadget.
- Use the gadget’s supplied charger, or genuine replacement
- Don’t charge overnight or over-charge.
- Don’t leave the house with a gadget charging.
- Don’t attempt to charge damaged gadgets or with a damaged charger or cable.
- Always look for a CE mark
- *Beware of fake gadgets, they don’t comply to any standards
“Electronics will fail eventually, most will simply stop working, but on the very odd occasion, they will fail spectacularly. The trick is avoiding that happening, and if it does limiting the damage it will cause.”