Families forced to evacuate hotel after minor damage from fire
Dublin Fire Brigade and an ambulance outside The Sheldon Park Hotel

Families forced to evacuate hotel after minor damage from fire

EMERGENCY services were called to a report of a fire at the Sheldon Park Hotel in Kylemore last week.

The incident on Thursday morning, January 20, at approximately 9.50am, turned out to be minor damage caused to a room at the hotel.

However, all of the residents who live in a family hub at the Sheldon Park Hotel, had to congregate in the carpark while gardai and Dublin fire Brigade attended the scene.

Up to 67 families, many of them foreign nationals, reside in the hotel.

A spokesperson for the Dublin Region Homeless Executive (DRHE) told The Echo an agreement was signed with the Sheldon Park Hotel in September 2020.

“In order to support families who are homeless, the DRHE sources suitable buildings for family accommodation across the Dublin region until such a time as the family can access a longer term housing solution such as social housing or private rented accommodation with the assistance of Housing Assistance Payment (HAP),” said a DRHE spokesperson.

“The DRHE entered into a contract with the Sheldon Park Hotel in September 2020 to provide accommodation to 67 families. Supports are provided to the families by Focus Ireland and a DRHE Housing Support Officer.”

The Echo asked how much money the hotel was receiving per week per room, but the DRHE said contracts with “our accommodation providers are commercially sensitive information and thus will not be disclosed.”

The Echo tried to contact the Sheldon Park Hotel on the number listed but were unsuccessful.

It appears to be closed to the public, as attempts to make an online booking for a room at the Sheldon Park Hotel over the course of the next six months were also unsuccessful.

The Sheldon Park Hotel is owned by Arcourt Limited whose directors are Jackie and Vincent Cosgrave.

In recent years, Arcourt received planning permission to build over 100 apartments at an adjoining site to the hotel.

A Garda spokesperson said: “Gardai and emergency services responded a report of a fire at a premises on the Kylemore Road, on January 20, at approximately 9.50am.

“No injuries were reported . Minor damage was caused to a room at the premises.”

Share This