Family concerned about health with ongoing sewerage blockages
By Maurice Garvey
SEWERAGE blockages at a council-owned home in Ballyfermot are creating severe health and safety concerns for one local family. The Best family has lived in Convent Lawns, Ballyfermot, since 1998.
With the family home located on the corner of the estate, sewage from other houses run through pipes close to their house.
The family say this has led to “ongoing problems” with the shores filling up with waste.
Dublin City Council were out last November to check the problem, but Lindsey Best Kinsella, daughter of the home’s tenants Eileen and Eugene Best, say they are exasperated trying to get someone from the council out for the last week.
Palmerstown Woods resident Lindsey is mother of Tristan Best Kinsella (3), who has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and is on daily medication.
She said: “The drains are blocked again. It started on Thursday and my da rang on Friday for an engineer for the gully drains, and he rang about the blockage on Friday and Saturday. They said they will have someone out on Monday but your guess is as good as mine as to when they will send someone out.”
Lindsey continued: “I am so annoyed with the council. They do not care about the health problems the drains are causing to my family. If my ma and da stopped paying their rent, the council would be quick enough to send out threatening letters.
“We can’t open the windows. All the crap from other houses seeps up and the back garden is in bits. My parents mind my son at the house up to six days a week – the smell poses a serious health and safety risk.”
The family are concerned that the local authority and Irish Water are “passing the buck” when it comes to taking responsibility for shores.
As of Wednesday evening, a representative from the council had yet to respond to the family’s queries.
Dublin City Council did not respond to The Echo’s queries at the time of going to print.