Food with JP Passion: Sausage meatballs with pasta
By JP Kennedy
This has to be one of the easiest and tastiest recipes and one of my brother Gavin’s – who lives with me – most favourite recipes.
I have thought many of my siblings how to make this recipe and I am happy to say this is now one of their go to recipes for a quick and tasty supper. Great as leftovers for lunch the next day too!!!! Your kids will love this recipe I guarantee!
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 500g tomato Passata
- 3 spring onions finely chopped
- 1lb of sausage meat (450g)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Dash of Worcester sauce
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Tablespoon fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 Mozzarella ball chopped into rough chunks
- Dollop of tomato puree
- 80g Orzo pasta per person or fusilli (any pasta your prefer)
1. In a large bowl mix together the sausage meat, dried oregano, dried chilli flakes and add season with a little sea salt but more of the ground black pepper for flavour.
2. Take a teaspoon measure of the sausage meat and roll into individual meatballs, you will get over 30 meatballs from the mixture.
3. Add a little oil to a frying pan and on a medium heat, fry the sausage meatballs until nice and golden.
4. Add the chopped spring onions and an extra dash of dried oregano and fry for 2 minutes.
5. In a large casserole pot on a medium heat add the tomato pasta, tomato puree, chicken stock cube, Worcester sauce and season with salt and pepper.
6. Add the sausage meatballs and spring onions to the Passata mixture and simmer on a medium heat for 25 minutes.
7. Cook the orzo pasta in a pot of boiling salted water, this will take approx 8 minutes to cook.
8. With about 5 minutes to go until the meatballs are cooked, add in the chopped basil and fresh mozzarella
9. Serve in large bowls and enjoy!
Contact JP On:
By subscribing to The Echo you are supporting your local newspaper Click Here: Echo Online.