Man kicked hole through a wall in Garda Station
Ronanstown Garda Station

Man kicked hole through a wall in Garda Station

A WEST Dublin man who kicked a hole through a corridor wall in a garda station has been given a two-month suspended sentence.

Clive Bass caused the damage after he was taken into custody for causing a drunken disturbance outside a local hotel.

Judge Gerard Jones suspended the sentence for a year after hearing Bass had apologised and paid €400 compensation for the damage.

The 29-year-old accused, with an address at Shancastle Close, Quarryvale, Clondalkin, appeared in Blanchardstown District Court charged with public intoxication and engaging in threatening, abusive and insulting behaviour at Fonthill Road, Clondalkin on March 14 last year.

He was also charged with causing criminal damage at Ronanstown Garda Station on the same date.

Sergeant Walter Sweeney said in evidence that gardai responded to a call from the Clayton hotel on the date in question, stating that a male made a threat to “slice up” staff.

When they arrived, the male had been apprehended by two members of the armed response unit, Sgt Sweeney said.

Bass was extremely agitated, swearing and shouting and was clearly intoxicated. When he was arrested, he spat at the patrol van. He was taken to Ronanstown Garda Station, where he kicked a hole through the corridor wall while the member in charge was trying to complete the custody record, Sgt Sweeney said.

Bass had previous convictions for offences including possession of drugs, theft and road traffic offences.

The accused’s previous convictions were going back five years or more, his barrister Ciaran MacLoughlin said.

At the time of the incident, his mother had passed away at the age of 62 and Bass was very upset about that, Mr MacLoughlin said. The accused was living at home with his father and sister. He was very apologetic for what he did, Mr MacLoughlin said, asking the judge for leniency. Bass had paid  €400 for the damage caused.

The judge suspended the sentence.