Pensioner attends hospital after house fire – contracts Covid-19

Pensioner attends hospital after house fire – contracts Covid-19

By Maurice Garvey

A PENSIONER’S home caught fire on October 28, forcing her to attend hospital for smoke inhalation.

While in recovery, Margaret O’Connor (72) contracted Covid-19.

Dunawley Grove 02 compressor

The pensioner’s home caught fire on Dunawley Grove

“I was told by the doctor in Tallaght that the next five hours would be crucial,” said Margaret, a Clondalkin resident who has underlying health conditions.

“I told my friend Breda that I didn’t want to die – it was very emotional,” she said.

Margaret wants to thank her family, friends and neighbours in Dunawley Grove for their support during her ordeal.

Following the fire, attributed to a candle in her bedroom, Margaret spent two weeks at St Luke’s, two weeks at Tallaght, and was then moved to Mount Carmel to recuperate.

However, she contracted Covid-19 and had to go back to Tallaght.

She finally was allowed home on May 29 and neighbours were out on the street to welcome her back.

“I can’t write to you (The Echo) because of my arthritis, but I just want to let them know I appreciate it, it means an awful lot,” said Margaret.

“My friend Breda and my sister Susan rang me every night in hospital, and my neighbours Collette and Geraldine, checked my letters and visited me in Mount Carmel. I didn’t realise how bad covid was.

“I had a ferocious cough but I am clear now. If I could get down on my knees, I would say a prayer for my family, friends and neighbours, but I would probably need a crane to get back up.

“A lot of us have lived here for 44 years but it was a big surprise to see neighbours on the road. I don’t think I would have survived without the support I got. Thanks to you all.”

By subscribing to The Echo you are supporting your local newspaper Click Here: Echo Online.