Community numb over “senseless” loss of life as tributes made to “genuine” Luke

Community numb over “senseless” loss of life as tributes made to “genuine” Luke

AS THE community tries to come to terms with the murder of Tallaght resident Luke O’Brien O'Reilly, the 20-year-old arrested in relation to the young man's death remains in Garda custody this afternoon.

 Luke (20) tragically passed away yesterday (Monday) from injuries he sustained in an assault in the early hours of November 1 on the Old Blessington Road in Tallaght.

Luke O Reilly collage

Emergency services brought Luke to Tallaght Hospital on November 1 however, due to the nature of his injuries, he was transferred to Beaumont Hospital – and it was here that he sadly lost his fight for life.

Those who knew Luke, and the wider Tallaght community, are today numb over what many are describing as a “senseless” loss of life, with tributes being made across social media in remembrance of the "genuine" lad from Aylesbury.

In a post on its Facebook page, St Maelruan’s FC wrote: “St Maelruan’s FC would like to express their deepest sympathies to the family and friends of former player Luke O Reilly (20) who tragically passed away [yesterday] in Beaumont Hospital.

“Luke played alongside a number of our current Senior players at Underage level and had recently expressed an interest in re-joining the club.

“Luke’s death has come as a huge shock to us at the club, particularly to those who played alongside him.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Luke’s family and friends at this difficult time.”

Luke’s friends have also taken to Facebook to remember him through heartfelt tributes, while expressing their sadness over “losing a close friend that had nothing but a heart of gold and deserved the best in life.”

After Luke passed away on Monday, a Post Mortem examination was carried out and the investigation was upgraded to murder.

According to gardai, a 20-year-old man was arrested in the Tallaght area on Monday afternoon in relation to the investigation.

Gardai confirmed to this afternoon that the 20-year-old is still being detained at Tallaght Garda Station. 

Share This