Firefighters appeal for respect this evening as they protect communities
By Mary Dennehy
FIREFIGHTERS at Tallaght Fire Station have reminded members of the public to stay safe this Halloween, and to not interfere with emergency crews as they respond to calls across the area.
After a busy weekend, Tallaght Fire Station have already attended two bonfires this morning due to the dangerous fumes being emitted from the materials being burned – which included fridges, a cooker, kitchen units, garden furniture and wheelie bins.
Speaking with Echo.ie on one of their busiest days of the year, a Tallaght firefighter said: “We’ve had a busy weekend and were quite busy right up until midnight last night.
“Already today we’ve had to put out two bonfires that had materials burning on them that would release very dangerous fumes.”
He added: “We have not been targeted by any members of the community over the course of the last few days and we hope that this continues today.
“If we intervene and put out a fire it is because it is not safe and it’s putting people and property at risk.
“We are not trying to spoil people’s fun, we’re trying to protect them… and are checking to see if bonfires are located too close to homes, the main road, overhead cables etc.”
Firefighters have also asked parents to speak with their children about their personal safety at Halloween, and the importance of showing emergency services respect.
“If a fire engine is damaged by stone throwing or other forms of anti-social behaviour, it could be off the road for a few hours – or even the night.
“This puts people and communities at risk so we would ask young people to respect emergency crews and let us do our job.
“Parents also need to talk with young people about their personal safety tonight – point out what’s safe and what’s not safe.
“Children should also be supervised at all Halloween activities.
“Our message to communities is to stay safe and if anybody is concerned about anything call 999.”