Joy for St Finian’s U14s
St Finian’s celebrate with the Cup (Photos by Paddy Barrett)

Joy for St Finian’s U14s

By Eoghan Gardiner

ST FINIAN’S of Newcastle cruised to victory over Ballyboden Wanderers by a score line of 7-08 to 2-09 to claim silverware in the U14 Football Division 6 Cup Final.

The game was over as a serious contest by the time the referee blew his whistle for half time, at which point Finian’s were dominating with a lead of 6-02 to 0-06.

Although the visiting Wanderers had opened up proceedings with three unanswered points in the first six minutes, two of which came from Jack Keogh and another from Maitiú Hade, St Finian’s managed to put the ball in the back of the net twice within the following four minutes to take the lead.

One of these goals came in the form of an impressive volleyed effort from Jack Dodd after receiving the ball at close range, while Dylan McMenamy’s attempt found the goal after hitting off the woodwork.

Conor Fallon of St Finian’s holds off a tackle

Roughly ten minutes after his first, Dodd struck again with another impressive volley, this time being assisted by Evan Lonergan, hitting the back of the net to increase his side’s tally to 4-02 compared to the four points registered by their opposition at that stage of the game. Lonergan would score himself some moments later, as his soft attempt found its way past the goalkeeper.

It was more of the same for much of the second half, as some impressive link-up play in the form of a handpass from Eoghan Beckett to Liam Nagle allowed Nagle to beat Wanderers goalkeeper Leo O’Muireagáin, being virtually unchallenged by the Wanderers defence.

The visitors managed to score two goals late in the second half, including one from a penalty slotted home coolly by Oisín Dooley after a foul on Jack Keogh. With just two minutes to go in the game and their side well behind, it would prove to be a case of too little too late for Wanderers.

Jack Keogh of Ballyboden Wanderers escapes James O’Hara of Finian’s

Dooley had scored a number of free kicks for his side throughout the game, but unfortunately for Wanderers, it was not enough to keep them competitive in the fixture.

In one of the last kicks of the game, Finian’s man Fiachra Molloy had to settle for a point rather than a goal as he took on goalkeeper O’Muireagain. His settling proved inconsequential, however, as moments later the referee blew the whistle for full time for St Finian’s to lift the trophy in front of their home support.

Share This