Woman arrested: Five people now in custody in relation to Mark Desmond murder

Woman arrested: Five people now in custody in relation to Mark Desmond murder

A woman (42) has been arrested in connection with the murder of Mark Desmond in Lucan in December 2016.

The woman was arrested in West Dublin this morning and is being held at Clondalkin Garda station.

MARK DESMOND 08 December 2016

The latest arrest is the fifth in recent days in relation to Desmond’s murder, with two men also arrested by Gardai this morning.

Both men are aged in their 20s, and were arrested in the Clondalkin area following a planned operation involving local detectives, Regional Armed Support and other local units.

Today’s developments follow the arrest of two other men yesterday in the Clondalkin and Lucan areas. Those men were aged in their 30s and 40s.

In a statement released by Gardai, a spokesperson said: “Gardai investigating the murder of Mark Desmond in the Lucan area on the 2nd December 2016 have made a further arrest today.  

“A 42-year-old female was arrested in the West Dublin area this morning and is detained under Section 30 – Offences against the State Act 1939 at Clondalkin Garda Station.  

“Five people are now currently in custody (4 males and 1 female) in relation to this investigation.”

Desmond was shot up to four times in the head in Griffeen Valley Park on December 2nd 2016.

A car was later found burnt out in nearby Hayden’s Lane, and a firearm found in the vehicle’s front seat with another gun discovered nearby.

Originally from Lally Road in Ballyfermot, Desmond was suspected of involvement in at least four murders, as well as multiple beatings and sexual assaults, including the alleged rape of a 15-year-old boy.

He was charged but never convicted of the horrific Canal Murders in 2000.

It is believed that Desmond lured Darren Carey (20) and Patrick Murray (19) to a drug-related meeting before murdering the two men.

Their bodies were then dumped into the Grand Canal, and were eventually discovered between January 9 and 10, 2000.

As Desmond’s trial was due to begin in 2002, a number of key witnesses refused to give evidence.

Desmond was given eight years on a charge of unlawful possession of firearms, and told relatives of the murdered boys in court that he would do the sentence “on my back.”

In 2004, the Court of Criminal Appeal overturned his conviction and he walked free.

Share This