Zero tolerance by council over Halloween stockpiles

Zero tolerance by council over Halloween stockpiles

By Maurice Garvey

DUBLIN City Council are taking a “zero tolerance” approach to parents of children who attack contractors removing bonfire material in Ballyfermot in the lead-up to Halloween.

Speaking at the South Central area meeting on Wednesday, area manager Peter Finnegan said the zero tolerance approach will need to be implemented after contractors were attacked in recent years while trying to remove bonfire material.

De Selby bonfire 3 19102017

“There have been incidents where people involved in stacking bonfire material have attacked those who were sent to take it away,” said Mr Finnegan.

If such incidents occur this year, Mr Finnegan said “parents will be called in” to the city council.

The Echo understands that a number of different departments in DCC are working together to mitigate against potential problems in the lead-up to Halloween.

Up to 10 city council staff members will be monitoring CCTV cameras at weekends to identify stockpiling of bonfire material.

Last year, DCC removed in excess of 420 tonnes of bonfire materials in response to 280 reports of stockpiling from the public in the lead-up to Halloween.

“In Ballyfermot, we are seeing reports everyday, the beginnings of the (stockpiling) process,” said Mr Finnegan.

“Our core service is under constant pressure. Where needed, area managers can pull in external contractors (to remove bonfire material).

“We are conscious that certain areas need to be protected. The key message is that bonfires can damage people, like fireworks. Last year we did a phenomenal job – it’s not an easy job, but we are confident we will be able to do the same this year.”

Residents are encouraged to report stockpiled material at the DCC litter hotline 1800 251 500 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm), DCC Customer Services Centre on 222 2222 (Monday – Friday, 9am-5pm) or

01 679 6186 (evenings and weekends).