Appeal for unoccupied homes to be offered to Ukrainians
The appeal is being led by local authorities (Photo: SDCC)

Appeal for unoccupied homes to be offered to Ukrainians

PEOPLE who have unoccupied properties are being encouraged to offer them as temporary homes for those fleeing war in Ukraine.

The call is part of a new government initiative, led by local authorities, to make use of unoccupied houses, apartments or holiday homes to house Ukrainian people and families.

A tax-free recognition payment of €800 per month is available for properties used to house those arriving from Ukraine – with this payment rate applying from December 1.

In an appeal issued on Friday, November 25, South Dublin County Council said that under the new programme it will take offers of houses, apartments or holiday homes for temporary accommodation.

The council will liaise with owners to access suitability and arrange for the property’s use by Ukrainian people and families.

The council stressed that this call does not apply to partially occupied or shared accommodation.

Appealing to the people of South Dublin County Council to offer unused properties, Colm Ward, Director of Housing and Community Services, asked everyone with eligible properties to engage.

“Irish people have shown incredible support for the people of Ukraine”, he said.

“We know that people are very anxious to help where they can so we’re appealing to anybody who has a house, apartment, or holiday home that they’re not presently using to consider offering it to those who need shelter and safety from war.

“We understand that it can be daunting to offer a property to someone you don’t know.

“That is why local authorities will work with you throughout the process and be there to offer support while your property is being used.

“If you have a property that is otherwise going to be empty this winter, please consider offering it for those who badly need a safe home for a while.”

More than 60,000 people have arrived in Ireland from  Ukraine seeking shelter and safety.

To offer a property or for more information, visit the Offer a Home website.